Kanalbyen will transform a former industrial site located between the historical renaissance city centre and the central harbour front of Fredericia into a modern, sustainable and lively canal district with a spectacular panoramic view to the sea.
Fredericia is a fortified city with one of the largest and best-preserved ramparts in Europe. The city is located in the heart of one of Denmark's key growth areas - the Triangle Region – and Kanalbyen's ambition is that the urban development will be the driving force of the development of both Fredericia and the Triangle Region.
Kanalbyen will attract many different types of people and businesses because it will offer a wide range of benefits for all:
- A mix of attractive residences and offices, a retail loop - in natural continuation of the existing retail area in the city centre - and cafés/restaurants along the eastern side of the old harbour.
- Public and cultural facilities, such as a musical theatre or a military visitors’ centre.
- A variation of public urban spaces, e.g. waterfront promenades and green areas, which will provide room for activities, recreation and diverse urban life.
FredericiaC is a prime example of smart city development as most solutions serve more than one purpose. For example, dirt from the excavation of the canals will be used to raise the entire area by one meter to 2.5 meters above the current sea level. This will protect the new canal district as well as the historical city centre from flooding caused by climate change.
Kanalbyen will be a vivid and sustainable urban district with a clear and highly appealing identity of its own combined with a great respect for what is already here.
The vision of Kanalbyen is that the new urban district:
- Is both compelling and innovative as well as respectful of the old part of Fredericia
- Lets the quality of life go hand in hand with great quality in townbuilding keeping a keen eye on tomorrows possibilities
- Sees active participation from the citizens, commerce and culture in Fredericia as an asset and as a necessity for good development
- Creates a new role for Fredericia as a key player in the “Trekantsområdes” competition with Copenhagen, the capitol of Denmark
- Incorporates state of the art sustainability in economy, climate and health in both planning and solutions
- The Parties
Kanalbyen i Fredericia P/S is the partnership in charge of developing the new town district of the same name. We are a partnership limited by shares set up between the Local Authority of Fredericia and Realdania By & Byg, of which the Local Authority of Fredericia holds 25% and Realdania By & Byg 75%.
We are run by a professional board of directors, appointed by Realdania By & Byg and the Local Authority of Fredericia and composed of representatives of both parties.
Members of the board are:
- Chairman of the board: Carsten Koch
- Jacob Bjerregaard, first deputy mayor, Local Authority of Fredericia
- Nicolai Wyke, member of council (Fredericia)
- Peter Cederfeld, CEO, Realdania By & Byg
- Dorthe Frilund Jensen, RingkøbingK, Realdania By & Byg A/S
Project director and secretariat of Kanalbyen
The project secretariat is located in the project area at Sdr. Voldgade 10, 1. sal.
- Partnership Agreement
The Local Authority of Fredericia and Realdania Urban Development have formed a partnership on the development, i.e. planning, site development and sale, of former industrial areas along the harbour in Fredericia. For this objective, the parties have established a land development company.
The partnership agreement outlines the joint objectives and intentions agreed between the parties. The agreement provides the working base for the partnership and its board of directors. The agreement describes the history of the areas, the overall vision for the areas and the overall ambitions of the parties, urban renewal and project development requirements as well as ownership structure and organisation of the land development company.